Thursday, October 16, 2014

Fiskateers WCMD Challenge


As you may know, several weeks ago we crafters celebrated World Card Making Day.  Some of us celebrated by drinking our coffee and moving on with the day.  Others thought about crafting but went shopping instead and bought new supplies.  Others trolled Facebook and were rewarded by the Fiskateers wanting to do several challenges for the day.

The first challenge was to do a Halloween card.  As it was the beginning of October I thought this was a great idea!  Plus, I have never made a Halloween card.  I actually don’t make a lot of cards and those I do make, well, I’m a little embarrassed to send.  But this challenge pulled together a lot of colors that I like – mainly orange (the official Fiskars color), and anything bright or dark or spooky!  I love anything on black so I made this cute little card.  I used the Fiskars gingerbread man punch for the ghosts and just cut off one of the legs.





The second challenge was to create a card with a flower embellishment on it.  I used my border punch system by Creative Memories, using the notebook cartridge with some pretty patterned pink cardstock.  Once punched, I scored it using my Martha Stewart scoring board and hot glued the sucker together into a rosette.  This was after several tries of creating a ripped piece of cardstock twisted into a beautiful rose, and crumpled circles of paper manipulated to look like morning glories.  Didn’t work.  So I made the rosette.  I like it!  I ripped apart a tiny silk flower and popped an enamel dot on top and I think it looks cute!



The last card of the challenge was a thank you card.  At this point I didn’t know what I was going to do.  You can tell, because this card is by far the least worked upon.  To be truthful, I did the Halloween card the first day and then the other two I had worked in a couple of days after.  It was an extremely tough weekend and I had a hard time getting to my room to work.  You know how it is!  As I was part of the initial cheer heard on the Fiskateer FB page regarding these challenges, I persevered.  I wanted something a little more formal and I pulled out this paper pad I had purchased previously.  Now smile – that sounded cool!  I love the blues and browns in this pack and I especially loved the blue patterned paper that I grabbed.  The paper is by Colorbok, by the way.  I used my cricut to cut out “merci” and then I placed everything together with some ribbon to embellish, colored my merci with glitter glue, and voila!  The card is finished!  I ended up having to tack town the ribbon with hot glue, smudged my lettering and had to re-do the glitter as best as I could.  I don’t think it’s too bad…



After the weekend was over I was contacted by Fiskateers to let me know that my Halloween card was chosen (at random) as a winner!  There were so many other cards that were great, but this little card I do love!  I have no idea who I am going to send it to though!  I received my prize yesterday, after a fifteen hour day of work, appointments and meetings.  I have yet to play with it but I am thoroughly excited to get my hands on it and go.




Thank you Fiskateers!  It was truly a wonderful experience getting together with other Fiskateers for a day to challenge ourselves and encourage each other in our crafting and especially card making.  It’s been a long time since we’ve done this and I’m really glad I got to be a part of it.  It also made me want to kick-start this blog, so thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment